Use a range of alternative upcycled materials along with some embroidery and embellishment techniques to create your own piece of hoop art.
BOOK A PLACE – this is a live online workshop, for which there is a fee of £22.15
Join textile artist and tutor Elnaz Yazdani ONLINE for an experimental embroidery workshop and find the beauty in using a wide range of alternative materials for embroidery.
In this workshop, you will be guided through a variety of hand embroidery and embellishment techniques using a range of alternative, up-cycled materials to create your own unique piece of hoop art. The techniques you will learn can be applied to any cloth, item of clothing or accessory so you can carry on stitching beyond the workshop.
Embroidery is a great way to keep calm and reduce stress levels so come and enjoy the meditative wonders of the process of embroidery.
The workshop is suitable for complete beginners as well as those with some embroidery experience, all levels are welcome.
What you need to have ready for the workshop:
- Some embroidery needles (Crewel, Chenille and Beading needles)
- Some threads and yarns, work with what you can find, embroidery threads, threads for the machine, cut strips of fabrics, thinner knitting or crochet yarns, paper yarn, plastic, ribbon, trimmings… basically if you can get it through your needle you can embroider with it!
- Fabric to work onto, plain or patterned, natural fabrics work best for beginners, try a cotton, wool, denim or linen, avoid stretch fabrics. Upcycle onto old bedding, pair or jeans, cushion or jacket.
- A pair of scissors
- If you have an embroidery hoop or frame please have this ready, if not it’s not essential so don’t worry.
- A pencil or fabric marker pen if you have one.
- Beads and sequins of your choosing
- Collect unusual materials to work with from around your home, upcycle and reuse, paper, card, plastic, rubber, straws, paper clips, old jewellery chain. Anything you see fit to use as an embellishment in your design.
Elnaz Yazdani is an embroidery artist and educator based in Yorkshire. With a portfolio practice in embroidery and background in embroidery education, Elnaz is dedicated to sharing her skills and promoting the importance of embroidery as an art form for the future.
Elnaz has taught embroidery within higher education for over 5 years and teaches fashion, costume and textile BA and MA students. She also runs community based workshops and takes on embroidery and jewellery commissions.You can see examples of Elnaz’s work on her website, elnazyazdani.com or follow her on Instagram @elnazyazdani
Please log into the zoom call 10 minutes before the session is due to commence so the class can begin on time.
Looking forward to stitching with you!